Latitude launches its track and field team

Latitude will participate in the Oakland Athletic League

Greyson Nichols, Legacy Sports Editor

Latitude has launched its first, of potentially many, sports teams this semester. 

The Latitude High track and field team is being led by coaches Matt Mahowald, Jessica Tomei, and Rafael Castro. Although they don’t have very much experience coaching, even less in track and field, they are excited to foster a strong and supportive community of aspiring athletes.

The team has already been signed up to participate in the Oakland Athletic League, but Covid has made it hard to tell how many meets will be possible. So far, they’ve said they plan on competing in short distance (100 meters, 200 meters, and 400 meters), middle distance (800 meters and 1500 meters), and in shot put and discus.

Practices are scheduled for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 4:15 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays are dedicated to “running lots of drills, running intervals, [and] working on our running form with Coach Castro, ” said Coach Matt. 

Fridays are more relaxed. Practices are open to anyone who is willing to join and games, like capture the flag or ultimate frisbee, are played. 

The first week has mostly been spent establishing a baseline for all the runners, getting in some trial runs, and starting to explore different specialties.

In addition, our team will be practicing with the Head Royce track and field team and integrating with them more strongly in the future. The goal is that their established and experienced team and staff will help provide support in all areas of the team.