Latitude’s first prom will be May 20

Lucija Adams, Legacy Reporter

Latitude is hosting its first prom! 

It will be held on Friday, May 20, in the Huey P. Newton Lounge on the Merritt campus from 7-11 p.m. This year’s prom theme is Dripping Luxury and no set dress attire has been established. 

Latitude seniors Courtney and Anyia are two of the students planning prom. They have been helping coordinate and organize the whole thing and said they are very excited. 

Anyia said, “We are planning decorations and trying to get a photo booth and then working on getting a DJ.” 

To pay for all of this, the seniors have been selling snacks after school on Wednesdays and Fridays since last semester. Courtney said it’s been mostly the teachers coming to support them. She said they have seen less interest from other students but they are doing the best they can.

To buy tickets they offer a package deal. “It comes with the cap and gown, the prom ticket, and grad night,” she said. “We are going to have a day when you can buy the tickets but we don’t know what day that is yet.” 

The only students who can buy tickets are juniors and seniors, but anyone can go if they are invited. 

These two seniors decided to support the planning because they said enjoy helping out. Courtney said she transferred back to the school and wanted to do something. “I’m the one who started the spirit week that you all did earlier in the year. I just wanted to come back and help out. It’s our last year so why not be a part of it.”